KSBY-TV reaches agreement with DirecTV
Update Jan. 12: “KSBY-TV is welcoming back viewers who watch us on DirecTV,” the station announced Saturday. Early Saturday afternoon a multi-year contract with DirecTV was finalized, the announcement said. The contract was reached in time for customers to see the NFL playoff game between the Baltimore Ravens and the New England Patriots.
KSBY-TV president and general manager Kathleen Choal said, “we want to thank our viewers for their support and loyalty during this difficult time.
KSBY dark on DirecTV since Jan. 1
Shortly after midnight on New Year’s Eve, DirectTV lost distribution of local stations in 13 markets including San Luis Obispo’s KSBY-TV, due to a fee fight with their owner, Cordillera Communications, according to industry publication TV Predictions. The two companies are battling over how much DirecTV should pay to carry the stations. KSBY’s television signal is still available to local viewers via traditional antennae.
KSBY posted a message to customers: “Despite our best efforts for months, we have been unable to reach a new agreement with DirecTV for carriage of our station after December 31, 2014. Both sides have made considerable compromises to try to come to terms, but fundamental differences remain on several key points including the fair value of our programming. As the owner and operator of the distribution system, DirecTV maintains ultimate control over the channels it chooses to carry. Even though network programming features, by far, the most popular news, sports, and entertainment content to viewers, DirecTV has decided to drop our station as of January 1, 2015. We are committed to maintaining negotiations with DirecTV and hope to reach a mutually beneficial agreement soon that minimizes service disruptions to our valued viewers.”
After failing to resolve the impasse, DirecTV released a statement saying that “the owner of this channel has removed it from the DirecTV lineup despite our repeated requests to keep it on,” the San Luis Obispo Tribune reports. DirecTV advises subscribers to visit DirecTVPromise.com for the latest information.
Cordillera Communications owns or operates the following stations:
- Lexington, KY – WLEX-TV and LEX18.com
- Lafayette, LA – KATC-TV and KATC.com
- Corpus Christi, TX – KRIS-TV, KRIS.com, KZTV-TV*, KZTV10.com*, The CW South Texas, KAJA-TV and KDF-TV
- Colorado Springs/Pueblo, CO – KOAA-TV and KOAA.com
- Tucson, AZ – KVOA-TV and KVOA.com
- San Luis Obispo, CA – KSBY-TV and KSBY.com
- Billings, MT – KTVQ-TV and KTVQ.com
- Bozeman, MT – KBZK-TV and KBZK.com
- Butte, MT – KXLF-TV and KXLF.com
- Great Falls, MT – KRTV-TV and KRTV.com
- Helena, MT – KXLH-TV and KXLH.com
- Missoula, MT – KPAX-TV and KPAX.com
- Kalispell, MT – KAJ-TV and KAJ18.com