Paso Robles Chamber endorses Cuesta College bond measure
Measure L is a $275 million bond on the ballot in November
The Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce board of directors voted Sept. 25 to endorse local ballot initiative Measure L. If passed by voters on Nov. 4, the new bond would raise $275 million in property taxes to fund repairs and improvements to Cuesta College.
The chamber’s endorsement reads, “With respect to its potential impact upon secondary education in North County, and its alignment with the mission of the Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce, the Chamber is in support of Measure L.”
College President Dr. Gil Stork has said that repairs and upgrades are needed to support the college’s educational programs, including college transfer courses and career technical education that will meet modern industry and educational standards. The cost of the bond would equate to a tax rate of about $19.45 per $100,000 assessed property value, according to the college.
If adopted by voters, Measure L will address facility needs relating to:
- Preparing returning veterans and local students for universities and good-paying jobs
- Improving and maintaining nursing and paramedic programs
- Providing quality career training and preparation in early childhood education, law enforcement, automotive, and agricultural trades
- Repairing deteriorating buildings and classrooms
- Providing essential job training in welding, construction, engineering, technology, and architecture
- Fixing leaking roofs and plumbing, which lead to power outages and canceled classes
Chamber President and CEO Sunni Mullinax says the endorsement fits with the chamber’s mission: “The Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce is an association of businesses and individuals organized to promote the economic vitality of the greater Paso Robles business community, while preserving its civic and historical well-being, in order to provide a better place to live, work and visit.”
Measure L has also been endorsed by the San Luis Obispo County Democratic Party. The San Luis Obispo County Republican Party has not endorsed any local tax measures, a spokesman for the group said.
Facebook Comments Plugin Powered byVivacity Infotech Pvt. Ltd.