Tickets Still Available for Paso Robles Chamber’s 2013 Annual Gala
The Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce honors 2012 Roblans of the Year at Annual Dinner
The Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce is proud to announce their selection for the 2012 Roblan of the Year, Don and Gail Campbell. The Roblan of the Year award is presented annually to individuals in the community who are respected and admired among friends, neighbors, and colleagues for his or her work and dedication to bettering the community of Paso Robles.
Don and Gail were married in Feb. 1963 in the Santa Clara Valley. Don was raised on a fruit ranch in the Santa Clara Valley. Gail born in San Francisco was raised more of a city gal. Moved down to the Santa Clara Valley, as a young girl and fell in love with the country life.
Don went to Cal Poly, majored in Animal Husbandry, later attained his Masters degree in Ag Science and then obtained his teaching credential. Gail worked at Bank of America at College Sq. and put Don through school. After graduation Gail and Don moved to the El Pomar area. The fruit ranch in the Santa Clara Valley was sold. Don had family history in the San Luis Obispo County. Gail looked in the newspaper and found an ad for a piece of property in the El Pomar Area. In 1965, they viewed it and they are still there today. A month after moving to El Pomar their first daughter was born.
After graduation Don went to work for Wallace Machinery. A couple of years later he went to work for Chandler Ranches and then on to Farmer’s Alliance during this time their second daughter Debbie was born. After Farmer’s Alliance, Don went back for his masters at Cal Poly and during this time taught Ag at San Luis High School. While teaching there, their third daughter Lori was born. During this period of time Don was an advisor for FFA and traveled with the judging teams around the state. After seven years of teaching he found that he wished to spend more time with his own children. By this time, Gail was working at Tom Coull Real Estate and Don also had his real estate license and decided he wished to become part of that industry also. Don and Gail then opened an office for Tom Coull in Paso Robles later opening Western Properties which later became a Coldwell Banker franchise.
They have been involved in the farming industry raising grain and custom farming. The Campbell’s also did some grazing of stocker cattle and raised purebred Suffolk Show Lambs for over 30 years.
In the mid 80’s, Don and Gail planted their place to wine grapes and Don & Gail have been in that industry ever since. In 1983 Don became one of the founding members of Heritage Oaks Bank and has been a board member for 30 years and is currently Vice Chairman and the only founding member left on the board of directors.
Don and Gail will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary this coming Feb. Their love and greatest passion is for their 3 daughters, seven grandchildren and the Paso Robles Community.
Gail Campbell’s Community Outreach
• Past CCD volunteer for office work at St. Rose Church
• Site Council Paso Robles Public Schools
• PTA President for Winifred Pifer
• Republican Women’s President
• Treasure Harry Ovitt’s Supervisorial Campaign
• Bookkeeper for Jerry Diefenderfer’s Supervisorial campaign
• Farm Bureau member
• 4-H Leader for 23 years, sheep and sheep breeding leader with Don and also sewing leader
• Sundance Vaulters treasurer
• Bearcat Booster treasurer
• Appointed by Governor Deukmejian to the State Medical Quality Review Committee for 7 years
• A member of Harry Ovitt’s advisory committees: for the Salinas River and the El Pomar general plans
• Officer Manager for Coldwell Banker Western for seven years
• A member of the Paso Robles Chamber Agriculture Committee
• Roblan of the Month with the Paso Robles Chamber
• Charter Member of Paso Robles Historic Society
• Mid State Fair Heritage Foundation Charter Member
• Currently a volunteer at St Rose Catholic School
Don Campbell’s Community Outreach
• Life Member International Farm Youth Exchange Alumni (IFYE)
• Member National Board of Directors 1992-1994
• 1962 Delegate to Spain for 8 months working and living with farm families
• Delegate to IFYE Conference and agricultural tours in New Zealand, Australia, Philippines, Taiwan, British Isles and Sweden
• Vice-Chairman Board of Directors and Founder of Heritage Oaks Bank, Paso Robles, CA
• Member of Paso Robles Rotary 34 years and past president
• Pioneer Day Committee Past Director and Chairman 1980-81, member for 48 Years
• 4-H Club Leader 23 Years
• San Luis Obispo County Farm Bureau
• Board of Director Paso Robles Vintners and Growers Assoc.
• California Association of Wine Growers
• California and National Cattlemen’s Association
• Roblan of the Month 1981
• Presented the State 4-H Alumni Award 1991
• Presented with the Outstanding Rural Urban Service Award by SLO Rotary Club 2010
• Central Coast Wine Growers Association
• Paso Robles Trail Ride Member 30 years
• Machinery, Equipment, Livestock and Equine Appraiser
• Accredited Member American Society of Agricultural Appraisers
• Current School Advisory Committee member for Saint Rose Catholic School
• Paso Robles Chamber Ag Tour Historian, Bus Captain and Past Chair
• Mid State Fair Heritage Foundation Charter Member
• Junior Livestock Auction Volunteer 47 Years
About the Recognition in Excellence Award;
When considering candidates for Roblan of the Year, the Chamber of Commerce looks for:
• An individual who best represents the qualities each of us admire and respect among our friends, neighbors, and associates.
• An individual focused on helping others achieve.
• An individual who is there time and again when the call for service arises; vested in long-term, continuing commitment to the community.
• An individual who calls Paso Robles home, and answers the call to do what they can to make the city a better place to live, work, and visit.
The Paso Robles Chamber of Commerce will be honoring these two worthy Roblans at the Annual Gala and Award’s Dinner on January 26, 2013 at the Paso Robles Event Center. Reservations for this event can be made online at www.pasorobleschamber.com or by calling the Chamber of Commerce at 805.238.0506.