Winners of Central Coast Olive Oil Competition announced
The Central Coast Olive Oil Competition released the final results of the 2014 competition recently. With over 100 olive oils entered from all across California, five oils emerged as Best of Show.
Best of Show winners for each respective category:
- Best of Show Delicate | The Olive Press | Sonoma, CA | Sevillano
- Best of Show Medium | Robbins Family Farm | San Luis Obispo, CA| Ascolano
- Best of Show Robust | The Olive Press | Sonoma, CA | Picual
- Best of Show Organic | Moonshadow Grove | Oroville, CA | Ascolano
- Best of Show Flavored | Calivirgin-Coldani Olive Ranch | Lodi, CA | Arbequina Oregano
The main event featured some of the premier olive oils produced state-wide. Past participants were overjoyed by previous experiences with the competition, several electing to re-enter. By virtue of the competitions quality and prestige, new participants expressed their desire and curiosity to join, registering for the competition. The final count tallied 106 olive oils from 42 farms were judged.
“Overall the oils were excellent in quality especially in the characteristic of complexity”, stated Paul Vossen, the Chief Judge. “Oils were riper than in previous years due to the extended warm weather just prior to and during harvest. This allowed the fruit to ripen rapidly, which brought out the tropical, berry, stone fruit, and apple flavors associated with ripe olives. ”
The California Mid-State Fair will feature the winning entries, providing a venue for fairgoers to taste and purchase the olive oils. The California Mid State Fair will run July 16-27, 2014 in Paso Robles, California. For more information or the judging results, refer to centralcoastwinecomp.com/olive-oil/.