Firefighters rescue tree-trimmer after accidental electrical shock
– The Atascadero Fire Department rescued a tree trimmer in a boom truck Saturday morning who was shocked with electricity when his tree-trimming equipment accidentally touched a live 12,000-volt powerline.
Firefighters responded to 580 North Ferrocarril in Atascadero, Calif. at 9:17 a.m. Saturday. Rescuers performed a “High angle rescue from scissor lift” and with a ladder truck and Pacific Gas & Electric‘s help, retrieved the man.
The first arriving engine found a male patient approximately 45 feet in the air trapped on a scissor lift bucket, according to a report from the City of Atascadero. The victim was trimming trees, when he came into contact with the high voltage power lines.
Multiple reporting parties stated they heard a loud explosion and the power went out. Fire department paramedics utilized a ladder truck to quickly gain access to the patient, assess the situation and the extent of the patient’s injuries.
Fire crews were able to manually lower the scissor lift from the ground enough to clear the electrical power line so the patient could be safely transferred into the fire department ladder truck platform. Fire crews had to work adjacent to high voltage power lines until PG&E could shut down the power.
The patient was found to have multiple severe burns, but was conscious and able to follow commands. The patient was placed into a San Luis Ambulance, where he was transported to Sierra Vista Hospital’s Trauma Center.
Report and photos by Jason Brock
Editor’s note: This story was updated with additional information from the city of Atascadero on Saturday at 5 p.m.