6 ways to volunteer in San Luis Obispo County
Have a heart and volunteer in San Luis Obispo County this year
—The beginning of the year is always full of fresh goals, expectations and resolutions to improve ourselves, but how about we ring in the new year with some selfless, volunteer work to help others around us in our community?
Looking outward, instead of inward, and making a difference in the community by volunteering our time and efforts, actually benefits the whole society in multiple aspects. Volunteers gain a better sense of self confidence, meet new people, learn new skills, and might be offered better job prospects.
Finding the right volunteer job in our area might seem overwhelming, but there are some great sites to help people navigate the array of work out there. Get involved with something that moves your soul, right here at home. Some of our favorite places for finding volunteer work in SLO County can be found listed below:
- Volunteerslo.org– For 60 years United Way has been a staple in the community, providing help with education, income and health related subjects by organizing and supplying expertise and resources.
- Volunteerslo.org is an easy to navigate website which posts volunteer positions that are available, by agency, which can also be sorted and filtered to find the perfect next volunteer job.
- Volunteermatch.com– Finding the right volunteering position has never been easier, with Volunteermatch.com which filters and organizes types of jobs available, it even has positions suitable for kids to take.
- Woods Humane Society.org– The animal shelter of San Luis Obispo always has loads of volunteer work available. They need help with canine enrichment, surgery support, customer service, behind the scenes, special events and the cat ambassador. Youth volunteers, foster services, and community service hours can be fulfilled for college courses. Woods Humane Society is always an enriching place to look for volunteer work, because making the difference for the lives of so many animals has a huge impact on us too.
- Slofoodbank.org– The San Luis Obispo Food Bank is doing an amazing job of feeding the needy, so help them sort, bag, and distribute food and alleviate hunger in our County. Along with fighting hunger, the Food Bank is also working with farms and stores to lessen food waste, and glean crops that would otherwise sit and rot.
- Slocity.org– The city of San Luis Obispo has a great website with a mixture of volunteer jobs all over the place, from trail maintenance to volunteer patrol and rangers it is sure to be exciting new experiences with fulfilling outcomes.
These are just a few of the places to find volunteer work, but don’t forget to check out other local non-profits, government agencies, retirement communities, schools, hospitals, and parks departments.