Paso Robles News|Friday, April 12, 2024
You are here: Home » Atascadero » Apartment catches fire on Christmas Eve
  • Follow Us!

Apartment catches fire on Christmas Eve 

Firefighters were called out on Christmas Eve at 12:59 p.m. to a residential structure fire at 5525 Capistrano Ave. in Atascadero.

First arriving engines from the Atascadero Fire Department found a two story, multi-family apartment complex with light smoke coming from the front door of apartment No.43 which was located on the first floor. Upon entering, fire crews found the apartment fully charged with smoke.

Crews located the fire in the kitchen and quickly suppressed ti above the stove top. Fire damage was limited to the stove and wood cabinets directly above the stove. Moderate heat damage to the remainder of the kitchen and light smoke damage throughout the apartment.

Cause of the fire was food left cooking on the stove, the Atascadero Fire Department reported.

Responders included two engines and one truck from Atascadero City Fire, one engine from the Atascadero State Hospital, one engine and one command vehicle from Cal Fire, one engine from Paso Robles Department of Emergency Services, one breathing support unit and one command vehicle from Templeton Fire, one ambulance from San Luis Ambulance and four Atascadero Police units for traffic control and to assist with evacuation.

A total of 10 firefighters were on scene and contained the fire 10 minutes. Crews remained at scene for approximately one hour for salvage, overhaul and investigation.

Firefighter estimate damage was $8,000 for structural repairs and $1500 contents. The apartment above suffered smoke damage. The Red Cross was on the scene to provide assistance to the resident displaced by the fire. She was an older woman with no immediate family in the area.

Share To Social Media


About the author: Publisher Scott Brennan

Scott Brennan is the publisher of this newspaper and founder of Access Publishing. Follow him on Twitter, LinkedIn, or follow his blog.