Cuesta production of, ‘Ghost Ship’ honored with national award
–Cuesta College Drama Department’s production of Ghost Ship was honored by the Kennedy Center with ten national awards including Outstanding Theatrical Creation and Outstanding Production of a New Work. The cast and crew were recognized for their work showcased in the February 2019 Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF) in Los Angeles. The production first made its debut at Cuesta College in November of 2018.
The national awards include:
• Outstanding Theatrical Creation – Philip Valle
• Outstanding Production of a New Work – Philip Valle
• Outstanding Director – Bree Valle
• Outstanding Performance and Production Ensemble
• Outstanding Production Design – Gabriel Zufall, Richard Jackson, Jose Alejandro Mendoza, Kody Cava, bree valle, Trevor Gates, Iris Abbott, Sarah Harwood
• Outstanding Scenic Design – Richard Jackson
• Outstanding Sound Design – Jose Alejandro Mendoza
• Outstanding Lighting Design – Kody Cava
• Outstanding Movement Direction – Bree Valle
• Distinguished Costume Design – Bree Valle
The production will be recognized in Washington D.C. for its achievements at the 50th Annual National Festival at the John F. Kennedy Center of the Performing Arts, April 15 – 20.
Ghost Ship (a tragedy without explanation, a mystery without escape) is an immersive, multi-sensory excursion that calls its audience aboard the ghastly Mary Whalen. Written by Philip Valle, the play is the fourth production by Cuesta College’s award-winning Drama Department to be invited to KCACTF. The department’s national and international acclaim began in 2014 when original play Pool ’63 received five national awards from the KCACTF before being selected as the United States representative at the 2015 International University Theatre Festival in Mexico City. Last spring, the college’s theatrical production of Man of La Mancha received 14 national awards.
For questions about the college’s Drama Department, please call (805) 546-3195. For more information about the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival, please visit their website.