Cuesta to host Promise Scholarship workshops before application deadline
– Cuesta College is offering two final Promise Scholarship Workshops this month before the August 3 application deadline. All recently graduated San Luis Obispo County high school students who attend these workshops can receive assistance with any of the Promise Scholarship application requirements, Cuesta College admissions application, and the FAFSA and/or Dream Act forms.
The workshops are scheduled to be held:
• July 28, San Luis Obispo Campus – Room 3411, 5-7 p.m.
• July 29, North County Campus in Paso Robles – Room N3129, 5-7 p.m.
Attendees should bring their myCuesta username and password information. For more information on the workshops, call (805) 546-3143.
Cuesta College’s Promise Scholarship program has proven successful in its inaugural year (2014-15), providing a fee-free first year to 646 students, saving each an average of $1,400. According to the Cuesta College Office of Institutional Research, when compared to local high school students who enrolled at Cuesta for the first time in fall 2013, Promise students on average:
• Took more units
• Were more likely to state intentions of obtaining an AA/AS degree and transfer to a four-year institution
• Had higher rates of placement into transferable math and English
• Had better persistence rates
• Maintained similar GPAs
The Cuesta Promise is the result of a donation of more than $8 million to the Cuesta College Foundation from the Charles and Leeta Dovica Family Trust, who requested the funds be used for scholarships. The scholarship endowment, created in the fall of 2013, pays for the per-unit cost of classes, health fees, Associated Students of Cuesta College fees, materials fees, Student Center fees, and the Student Rep fee. Approximately $357K in scholarships have been provided by the earnings of the endowment. For more information, go to www.cuesta.edu and click on the “Promise” icon.