Paso Robles News|Friday, October 20, 2017
You are here: Home » Atascadero » Dog saves owner from house fire
  • Follow Us!

Dog saves owner from house fire 

Update: Atascadero Fire Capt. Bill White issued an update Monday afternoon correcting the date of the fire. It occurred on Sunday afternoon, not Saturday as previously reported.

Fire was caused by candles left burning, fire department reports

–On Sunday, at approximately 3:47 p.m., the Atascadero City Fire Department received a report of a structure fire 5280 Dulzura. First arriving engines found a single story, single family residence with heavy fire and smoke coming from a bedroom window located at the front of the structure. The fire was spreading to the remaining areas of the structure as fire crews began suppression efforts. Firefighters were able to hold the fire to the bedroom of origin, but the interior of the residence experienced severe to moderate smoke and heat damage.

The cause of the fire was determined to be candles left burning in the bedroom of origin, according to the fire department. The occupant, Kevin Buchanon, was alerted to the fire when his young dog pawed and scratched for him to wake up.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire within 20 minutes of arriving. Crews remained at scene for approximately three hours for salvage, overhaul and investigation. There was a total loss of $15,000 for structural repairs and $3,500 contents. The owner of the property is Diane Nichols.

The fire department reminds residents to extinguish candles prior to retiring for the night. Also, make sure to have working smoke detectors and the batteries are changed twice a year.

Subscribe to daily news



Join our 4,475 daily email subscribers



Share this post!Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on Twitter

Comments

About the author: News Staff

News staff of the Paso Robles Daily News wrote and edited this story from local contributors and press releases. Scott Brennan is the publisher of this newspaper and founder of Access Publishing. Connect with him on , Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, or follow his blog. He can be reached at scott@pasoroblesdailynews.com.

One Response to Dog saves owner from house fire

Add a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.