‘Fall in Love with Atascadero’ at Colony Days Oct. 21
–For the 44th year, Atascadero will celebrate the beginning of the Atascadero colony. Colony Day festivities will take place in the Sunken Gardens starting at 7 a.m. with a pancake breakfast served by Atascadero Lions Club. The parade will begin at 10 a.m. with this year’s theme, “Fall in Love with Atascadero!” This year’s parade will travel on El Camino Real between A-Town Diner and West Mall.
After the parade, the event will commensurate in the Sunken Gardens to showcase the city’s beginnings in Tent City, where the first residents of Atascadero lived before their houses were “move-in” ready. The re-enactment of Tent City will feature more than 100 actors of all ages who go about their daily lives as if it were 100 years earlier. Modern visitors are able to trade in their paper dollars for wooden nickels and go shopping in Tent City. Visitors can get ice cream, a shave or a haircut from a trained Atascadero barber and newspapers or goodies from the general store. There will be music, dancing, performances and pie-eating contests; E.G. and Mabel Lewis may even make an appearance during the festivities.
Schedule of events for Colony Days, Oct. 21, 2017 in Sunken Gardens:
- 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.: Lions Club Pancake Breakfast.
- 10 a.m.: Parade begins at A-Town Diner on El Camino Real and ends at West Mall and Palma Avenue.
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Tent City re-enactment in Sunken Gardens, events will include pie eating contest and other games during the day—see schedule in Tent City. Also a variety of vendors, entertainment, and food! In addition, Historic City Hall Tours from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Dogtoberfest registration; 1 p.m.to 2:30 p.m.: Dogtoberfest Wiener dog & Small dog races, 2:30 p.m.: Pet Costume Contest (any size dog can participate)
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Free tours of city hall led by Atascadero Historical Society docents.
- 12:30 p.m.: Colony Band Festival at Memorial Stadium at Atascadero High School—admission is free.
- 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.: “Tent City After Dark” with live bluegrass music by the Toro Creek Ramblers in Sunken Gardens, tickets are $10 in advance or $15 at the event.
For our attendees, there will be two social media contests to take part in. The first will end Thursday, Oct. 19 at 5 p.m. and the winner announced that evening. To enter, post your favorite photo of Atascadero with why you have “Fallen in Love with Atascadero,” using the hashtags #fallinlovewithatascadero, #colonydaysatascadero and #atascadero. A winner will randomly be chosen from all entrants and will win two VIP seats to watch the parade on El Camino Real at the Sunken Gardens and two tickets to Tent City After Dark. The second will take place on Saturday, Oct. 21. Post your photos from any event happening during Colony Days on Instagram with the hashtag #fallinlovewithatascadero, #colonydaysatascadero and #atascadero. Winner will be announced on Sunday, Oct. 22.
Volunteers are always needed to help with the community event prior to the event through Oct. 22. To find out how you can help, parade lineup and schedule information, go to the event’s website, colonydays.org.