Food bank recognizes Hunger Awareness Day June 5
Food Bank Coalition’s 9th annual Hunger Awareness Day event is set to take place on Friday, June 5 from 7 a.m.- 7 p.m. This year the food bank is aiming for a campaign goal of $125,000.
The food bank states that their intent is not only to help make nutritious food available through its programs and agency partners, but also to encourage and support each person they serve.
Food Bank Coalition’s Chief Executive Officer Carl Hansen said that, “on Hunger Awareness Day, the Food Bank seeks to create awareness within our community that a large portion of our neighbors struggle with hunger. That portion has varied from 11 percent to 15 percent of our population over the last 10 years. Hunger is real, it is stubborn, and for each person within those statistics, there is a reason. The one thing hunger is not, is a choice.”
To donate, mail a check to P.O. Box 2070, Paso Robles, CA 93447, donate online at www.slofoodbank.org, visit any Rabobank branch in the county during the month of May through June 5, or drop by a Hunger Awareness Day donation site in your community on Friday, June 5. With resources for free and low-cost food, the Food Bank can provide $10 worth of food for every $1 donated.
- Paso Robles: Food 4 Less Shopping Center, Rabobank, Post Office, Walmart
- Atascadero: Food 4 Less/ SESLOC, Kmart, Haggen, Vons
- Templeton: Trader Joes, Post Office
- San Luis Obispo: Downtown Farmer’s Market (6/4), Union Bank, Whole Foods , Sierra Vista, Vons, Haggen, Ralphs
- Cambria: Cambria Drug
- Cayucos: Cayucos Post Office
- Morro Bay: Albertsons, Spencer’s
- Los Osos: Ralph’s
- Avila Beach: Avila Farmer’s Market
- Pismo Beach: California Fresh Market
- Grover Beach: Vons
- Arroyo Grande: Albertsons, Smart & Final, Strawberry Festival
- Nipomo: Vons