Hares ‘N’ Hounds 5K is Saturday
The 17th annual Hares N Hounds 5K and Fun Run will raise money for the Atascadero Greyhound Foundation on Saturday, March 7. Event coordinator Robyn Schmidt said she’s expecting about 300 runners at Saturday’s run, which is about 100 people more than past years. She attributes that increase to the addition of a fundraising element that started about three years ago.
To include more people and to give money directly to organizations benefitting children, Schmidt said that Atascadero Greyhound Foundation Executive Director Donn Clickard had the idea of allowing groups and organizations benefitting children to get packets to sign people up for the run. Each person then can join the fun run for $5 with all the other money going directly to the organization.
She said that the event hadn’t seen a lot of growth since then, until this year that is. Right now, she said, there are about 188 people signed up through groups and organizations and about 60 via regular registration. She said that usually the same number of people register the day of the race.
The 5K loop starts and ends at Atascadero Lake with the first and last miles of the 5K are around the lake, which is pretty flat; however, the second mile of the 5K is somewhat hilly, according to Schmidt. The one-mile and half-mile runs are out and back from the same start as the 5K. Schmidt said since there are no road closures, good traffic awareness is important.
Something new this year, Schmidt said, is that there was a contest for this year’s artwork. Atascadero Junior High School student Claire Lohayza was the winner this year. The contest is something Schmidt said she’d like to continue in the future.
“I just love the community being so involved in every aspect,” Schmidt said.
- 5K: Medals for top three finishers in each age group. Special awards given for top male and top female for Atascadero High School alumni.
- 5K Course Records: $500 for the first-place male or female to beat the course record — 14:38 men, 17:05 women.
- One-Mile and Half-Mile Fun Runs: Medals to all finishers.
- Raffle Prizes: There will be a great raffle for all participants.
Race day schedule:
- 8 a.m.: 5K start
- 8:45 a.m.: One-mile start
- 9 a.m.: Half-mile start
- 9:30 a.m.: Awards ceremony
Registration and packet pickup
- Online at Active.com.
- Walk in registration available at K-Man Cycle & Run in Atascadero on Friday, March 6 from noon to 4 p.m.
- Pre-Registration packet pick-up at K-Man Cycle & Run in Atascadero on Friday, March 6 from noon to 4 p.m.
- Race day registration and packet pick-up from 6:45 a.m. to 15 minutes prior to the start of the respective race at the Atascadero Lake Park.
For more information, go to HaresNHounds.org or contact Schmidt at runninrobyn@gmail. com.