International homestay program seeks summer hosts
– More than 400 students from China, Italy, Austria, France, Hong Kong, Germany, Spain, Finland, Russia and Indonesia will spent 10 days through four weeks living with volunteer host families around San Luis Obispo County this summer through EF Educational Homestay Programs, a nonprofit program.
EF Educational Homestay Programs Area Manager Carina Hilbert said host families are urgently needed for the Central Coast International Program, for which students arrive July 24, and the Chinese program that begins on July 9 and runs through July 21. Buses will transport students from cities around the county to the study centers each school day.
“I started working with EF in 1999 after my first time of hosting and just loved being around the students,” Hilbert said.
Jerissa Parkhurst has been hosting and working with EF for many years because she enjoys showing her children, 4, 6, and 8 years old, that they are blessed to share their lives, family and community with the students.
“EF students are a great way to learn about other cultures and to help them learn about us,” Parkhurst said, adding that it helps break stereotypes seen in the media.
Programs this summer
- North County International at Berean Bible Fellowship in Atascadero from June 18 through July 7 with 66 students from Finland, Indonesia and Italy.
- Spanish Immersion in the Paso Robles area from July 1 through July 21 with 12 students from Spain. This program does not have a study center because the students do not attend classes, but do have two full days of activities each week.
- Pismo Beach International at Paulding Middle School in Arroyo Grande from July 10 to Aug. 4 with 124 students from Austria, Germany, Spain, Finland and Russia. Busing is available from Orcutt all the way to San Miguel.
- Chinese program at Trinity Lutheran School in Paso Robles from July 9 through Aug. 21 with 34 students from China. Busing is available from Atascadero and Templeton.
- Chinese program at Atascadero Fine Arts Academy from July 16 through Aug. 4 with 17 students from China.
- Chinese program at Central Coast Baptist Church in Grover Beach from July 16 through Aug. 4 with 17 students from China. Possible busing available from North County and Santa Maria.
- Central Coast International at Church of the Nazarene in San Luis Obispo from July 24 through Aug. 18 with 72 students from Austria, France and Hong Kong. Busing available from Orcutt through North County.
- Arroyo Grande International at Paulding Middle School in Arroyo Grande from July 24 to Aug. 11 with 45 students from Italy and China. Busing available from Orcutt through North County.
- Chinese program at Berean Bible Fellowship in Atascadero from July 30 through Aug. 12 with 35 students from China.
For more information, call 975-3844 or email email@example.com.