Update: Man admits to burglarizing Big Bubba’s Bad BBQ
Update posted Jan. 27
–The actual amount of money that Paso Robles resident Jose Cruz Fernandez admitted to stealing from Big Bubba’s Bad BBQ last week was around $400, according to Paso Robles Police Liutenant Tod Rehner. Rehner said that he thinks the manager originally stated $3,000 plus, and that was in the initial police report, then once they actually did an audit, it was only $400. The safe was not breached even though the keys were missing, according to Rehner.
Original story posted Jan. 22
Police initially contacted suspect for an unrelated matter
On Thursday, at approximately 10:14 a.m., officers were dispatched to Big Bubba’s BBQ restaurant in Paso Robles for a report of a commercial burglary. Upon opening the business that day, the manager noticed an exterior window had been forced open and an interior door to the office had been pried open as well. Interior security cameras recorded the incident and the suspect appeared to be an older Hispanic male adult, with greying hair, mustache, and dark clothing. Officers said they were unable to positively identify the suspect based on the video footage alone. The restaurant reported that nearly $3,000 in cash was stolen from the business.
Later that night, Paso Robles Police Officers contacted 47-year-old Jose Cruz Fernandez for an unrelated matter. Fernandez was ultimately placed under arrest for an outstanding arrest warrant. When the officer searched Fernandez incident to arrest, he located several bundles of paper clipped cash and other items associated with the burglary. Fernandez was questioned about his involvement in the theft, and he ultimately admitted to breaking into the business and stealing cash and other items from the office, according to police.
Fernandez was later transported to San Luis Obispo County Jail charged with one count of second degree burglary.