May Is National Wildfire Awareness Month Announces Paso Robles Fire Damage Company
-May is National Wildfire Awareness month, and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has declared May 1 to be Wildfire Community Preparedness Day. Joe Powers from SERVPRO of Atascadero/Paso Robles, the fire damage repair company, said, “This is the perfect opportunity for communities to come together and participate in activities to help keep everyone safe from the threat of wildfires.”
Property and life loss to California wildfires has been in the billions of dollars, the most recent costs for 2020 wildfires exceeds $20 billion. Even though communities are recovering and rebuilding, there is no substitute for prevention. The NFPA is a global nonprofit organization with more than 50,000 members around the world that has been devoted to eliminating death, injury, property and economic loss due to fire since 1896. The organization delivers information and knowledge through more than 300 consensus codes and standards, research, training, education, outreach and advocacy.
The NFPA provides a free toolkit that can be downloaded for helping communities come together and plan fire prevention. Since in-person gatherings are limited or on-hold in many places, this year’s Preparation Day focuses on what communities can do to protect homes and businesses from the threat of wildfires.
SERVPRO of Atascadero/Paso Robles, ready with fire damage repair and restoration services 24/7, believes that prevention is the first line of defense. No one wants to experience a fire or lose their home, business or worse to fire.
The NFPA toolkit includes resources for clearing the property around structures to reduce fuel for fires, safety plans for getting out safely, and safety plans for pets and horses.
Powers also recommends fire prevention steps for the home in addition to having a fire safety plan, and taking fire prevention measures around the property.
- Prevent fires from barbecues and grills by keeping the area around the grill clear of debris, don’t barbecue under overhangs or trees, keep a fire extinguisher handy and don’t leave the grill unattended while it’s burning.
- In the kitchen, keep the kitchen clear of kids and pets while cooking, don’t leave cooking food unattended, and wear clothing without loose, hanging sleeves that might catch fire.
- Take precautions against electrical fires. Reduce the use of extension cords. Call an electrician to inspect and repair faulty circuits and outlets. In the event an outlet is sparking, emitting smoke or a burning smell, get everyone out, shut off the power and call 911.
- Teach children about fire safety and have a home evacuation plan that is practiced on a regular schedule.
- Locate fire extinguishers in strategic locations and make sure all adults and older children know how to use them.
- Install fire and Co2 alarms, test them and keep them in good operating order.
In the event of a fire, the Paso Robles fire damage company, SERVPRO of Atascadero/Paso Robles treats your family with empathy and respect and your property with care. SERVPRO works with major insurance companies and can help process and monitor the claim. The company is available 24/7 and responds immediately to a fire damage emergency. As fire damage experts, the team has all of the experience, training and certifications to restore your property and possessions to pre-fire condition.
SERVPRO of Atascadero/Paso Robles
7343 El Camino Real, Suite 199
Atascadero, CA 93422