Middle school, high school students receive suicide prevention training
From The Vine, issue 106
–Middle school and high school students across the Paso Robles Joint Unified School District have been provided Signs of Suicide Prevention Program (SOS) training.
SOS is a universal, school-based depression awareness and suicide prevention program.
The goals are to
1) Decrease suicide and suicide attempts by increasing student knowledge and adaptive attitudes about depression
2) Encourage personal help-seeking and/or help-seeking on behalf of a friend
3) Reduce the stigma of mental illness and acknowledge the importance of seeking help or treatment
4) Engage parents and school staff as partners in prevention through “gatekeeper” education, and
5) Encourage schools to develop community-based partnerships to support student mental health.