Pismo Beach fire damage company reports the top reasons to keep fire extinguishers handy
-Fire extinguishers help put out a fire and this is the basic reason to have them handy at home and at work, but there is a little more to fire extinguishers than making sure one is in the kitchen. The team from SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande, reports the top reasons to keep fire extinguishers handy, the most strategic places to keep them, and the importance of learning how to use and maintain them.
Having fire extinguishers in the home is one thing. Having them in the right places so that they are easy to get to is very important. The reasons for having fire extinguishers in the home include:
- Extinguish small fires
- Helps keep fires from growing out of control
- Allows time for people to get to safety
Having a fire extinguisher is important but it’s also important to have the right extinguisher for the job and having it in the right location. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) defines the following classes of fire extinguishers
- Class A: Ordinary Combustibles
- Class B: Flammable Liquids
- Class C: Energized Electrical Equipment
- Class D: Combustible Metals
- Class K: Cooking Media
It makes sense that one would want a Class K extinguisher for the kitchen, but where should it be located? In the kitchen, near the kitchen? The NFPA reports that kitchen fires are the leading cause of fires in the home. Where to locate the extinguisher is recommended by a couple of factors: the amount of area the extinguisher can cover in the event of a fire and how quickly one can reach the extinguisher. The best location for a fire extinguisher in the kitchen is going to be far enough from the stove to prevent damage to the extinguisher yet close enough to be reached within a few steps. The team from the Pismo Beach fire damage company believe that safety is always first and is an important consideration when placing fire extinguishers in the home.
Most fire extinguishers come with instructions about the best accessible location. It’s also possible to get fire extinguishers that work on a combination of types of fire. For example, one can purchase fire extinguishers for the home that is a combination of classes A, B and C and also purchase a Class K for the kitchen.
Other locations for fire extinguishers include the garage, especially if the garage doubles as a workshop where electrical power tools are used, barns and sheds containing combustible materials such as hay, gasoline, paint or certain kinds of chemicals.
The NFPA suggests the placing fire extinguishers in the following locations in the home:
- Kitchen, a safe distance from the stove and ovens and in an area that is easy to quickly access.
- Near possible fire hazards such as a fireplace, an outdoor fire pit or grill, the garage, barns and sheds.
- Bedrooms, the living room, and hallways are good locations as well. Fires don’t usually originate in these areas they are critical locations for protecting the family during emergencies.
The Pismo Beach fire damage team also recommends:
- Get your fire extinguishers from reputable local services
- Learn how to operate the fire extinguishers because they are only effective when used correctly
- Keep fire extinguishers maintained and replaced as recommended so they remain useful
Stay safe! If a fire happens, SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande has the water and fire damage training and expertise to help families through the tough times. The team has the specialized fire and water damage restoration training, personnel, and equipment to handle fire and water damage and can quickly restore homes and businesses to pre-fire condition.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande
1131 Pike Lane, Suite 9
Oceano, CA 93445