Runners wanted for Firehouse 5K Fun Run
Fourth annual fundraiser will take place April 11
The fourth annual Firehouse 5K Run and Health Fair will be as challenging as it ever has with a combination of road and trail, the majority of the run going through Stadium Park and up Pine Mountain, on Saturday, April 11. The run starts and ends at Atascadero Fire Station 1 at 8:30 a .m.
“It is guaranteed to provide gorgeous views of the city, challenging terrain and fun for all. Walkers and hikers are more than welcome,” race coordinator Fire Captain Matt Miranda said. “This course is amazing and challenging. It is the perfect variety of road and trail which is unheard of for a 5K course. The course consists of one mile on flat roads. The trails of Pine Mountain provide the other two miles with over 500 feet of elevation gain and loss. It has some flat for the speedy sprinters, some climbing for the mountain goats, and some downhill for the risk takers.”
THe 5K will be followed by a kids half-mile fun run and fire station and equipment tours by city firefighters.
- The route starts at Fire Station 1, runs down Lewis Avenue to West Mall, turns left and runs to Capistrano Avenue to the entrance of Stadium Park.
- Heads up the switch-back trail to the Pine Mountain loop.
- Crests Pine Mountain and heads down to the Blue Oak Trail.
- Takes the Blue Oak to the main gate and gets back on the road.
- Turns left on Capistrano Avenue, right on Lewis Avenue, and enters the final stretch, to finish at Fire Station 1.
- All turns will be marked with flagging and volunteers. Water is available at Mile 1 and Mile 2.5
Race day schedule:
- 7:30 to 8:15 a.m.: Packet pick-up and race-day registration
- 8 a.m.: Health fair opens
- 8:30 a.m.: 5K starts
- 9:45 a.m.: Awards for overall male and female, top finisher in each age group, fastest team of four
- 10 a.m.: Kids half-mile start
- 10:30 a.m.: Health fair close
Registration includes a T-shirt, race fees and post-race snacks and drinks. Friday evening early registration in Fire Station 1’s engine bay on Friday, April 10 from 6 to 9:00PM and pick up all your goodies.
The cost is $25 if registered online at Active.com or Friday evening. Race-day registration is $35, $20 for students kindergartener through 12th grade, and $80 for teams of four. T-shirt availability on race day may be limited. Kids half-mile registration will only be taken on race day and is $5 each.
All proceeds from the event will go the Atascadero Firefighters Association, a nonprofit organization that provides financial and logistical support for:
- Relay for Life
- Friends of the Library
- Atascadero High School student scholarships
- Athletic organizations such as Little League, T-ball, basketball, football, AHS boosters
- Alicia Ann Ruch Burn Foundation (Champ Camp, burn survivor treatment)
- Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Community events such as Winter Wonderland, Colony Days, emergency preparedness fair
- Fire department-related programs
For more information visit Active.com or email email@example.com.