SafetyFest coming to downtown park
Active safety learning exercises and important presentations planned
– On Saturday, Aug. 20, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., PASOSafe, a volunteer community safety outreach initiative, will present the inaugural SafetyFest; offering music, fun hands-on safety activities, and important presentations and exhibits from first responders, law enforcement, and the area’s top safety experts, in Downtown City Park. The event will be held in conjunction with Paso Robles Downtown Main Street Association’s Trading Day and Kids’ Flea Market.
Presentations, exhibits, and activities:
10 a.m. – Greeting: Welcome and check in at 10 a.m. at PASOSafe Information Booth
10:30 a.m. – Welcoming ceremony:
• Presentation of colors
• City’s safety priorities and updates: Mayor Steve Martin
• County’s safety priorities and updates: County Supervisor John Peschong
11-12 p.m.: Safety messages and presentations
• Paso Robles Fire & Emergency Services
– Safety message – fire prevention
– N. SLO County CERT to present their appreciation of their support as their sponsoring agency.
• North SLO County Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
– Safety message – power outages and electricity
– Presentation – N. SLO County CERT to present their appreciation of PG&E’s grant contribution of $10K – in support of five CERT programs within SLO County.
• SLO County Sheriff’s Advisory Foundation / Sheriff’s Office
– Safety message – county sheriff update and presentation
– N. SLO County CERT to present their appreciation of their support as CERT’s funding agent.
12 p.m.: Sponsor’s Safety Announcements (on the quarter-hour – break between 1:30-2 p.m.)
– Community health care: health and wellness – annual check-ups
– Cal Poly Cybersecurity Institute: cybersecurity and cyber-safety parental tips
– Central Coast Home Health & Hospice: fall prevention and resources to stay safe
– Tenet Health Central Coast: Don’t wait or drive – Call 911
– Premier Valley Bank: financial security
– Hearing Aid Specialists of the Central Coast: safe hearing and checks
– K-Man Cyclery: bicycle safety
– KRAV MAGA SLO: self-defense demonstrations
– Paso Robles Chevy: vehicle safety and importance of auto maintenance
– Paso Robles Waste & Recycle: eco-friendly and clean environment
– Lowe’s: fire prevention, emergency, disaster and safety supplies – Home security systems, smoke detectors, supplies to harden your home, fire-resistant plants, first aid kits, go-bags, more.
1:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.: Taco-Eating Contest
• Enter your name in a drawing, to be selected as one of the five participating contestants in the La Rena Taco-Eating Contest. All five contestants randomly drawn, win a prize.
• Visit the La Rena Exhibit Booth throughout the day to enter your name in the drawing. Contestants’ names will be announced by 12:30 p.m.
All day family fun day safety exhibits, activities, and demonstrations Include:
- Disaster and emergency preparedness activities
- Paso Robles Fire & Emergency activities
- Trading Day and Kids’ Flea Market
- Safety scavenger hunt
- Boy Scouts home evacuation activity
- Girl Scouts: go-bag activity
- KRAV MAGA SLO: Self-defense demonstration
- USCG: Water Safety – Life Ring Toss
- CHP & Paso Police: Vehicle, Road & Pedestrian Safety
- Paso Petcare: Pet Safety
- National Guard: Ammo Awareness
- PG&E: Power Demonstration
- San Luis Ambulance: Kids Coloring Activity
- And more.
All day: kid-zone activities:
- Meet Sparky the Fire Dog and visit the Paso Robles Children’s Museum firetruck in the park
- Life ring toss
- Sack races and three-leg races
- Toddler corn-hole and hula hoops
- Music and dancing
- Snack vendors – shaved ice, churros, and more.
SafetyFest event proceeds support the North San Luis Obispo Community Emergency Response Team (CERT), a public beneficiary program (sponsored by Paso Robles Fire and Emergency Services and funds managed by SLO County Sheriff’s Advisory Foundation) that educates volunteers about disaster preparedness for the hazards that may impact our community and trains them in basic disaster response skills. A portion of the proceeds also support the Downtown Paso Robles Main Street Association’s mission of restoration and preservation in downtown.
SafetyFest exhibit spaces are also available through Aug. 13. Contact Gina Grieb at (805) 540-0027.