San Luis Obispo electrician announces ‘May is national electric safety month’
-The San Luis Obispo electricians from Electricraft, Inc. are encouraging the public to take advantage of National Electrical Safety Month to learn more about electrical safety in the home and at work. The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) annually sponsors May as the month to focus public awareness on the importance of electrical safety.
ESFI is a nonprofit organization “dedicated exclusively to promoting electrical safety at home and in the workplace.” Since 1994 ESFI has worked with industry and community leaders to develop and share electrical safety resources for promoting electrical safety in schools, communities and the workplace. The theme for 2022 is “Energy Resilience,” and ESFI is introducing new materials for electrical safety as well as emerging technologies such as solar photovoltaics, energy storage systems and electric vehicles.
Electrical safety resources available from EFSI include:
- Home safety
- Workplace safety
- Disaster safety
- Kids safety
- A resource library for a wide range of electrical topics
Home and workplace safety resources include advice for preparing the home or business for safety and energy efficiency. Tips and advice can be downloaded for use by family members and employees.
Kid’s safety features the ESFI’s interactive Kids Corner, an online resource that includes activities to help kids learn about electrical safety through fun and entertainment and educational resources for teachers.
The San Luis Obispo electricians team has prepared the following list of safety tips to help families, employers and employees recognize electrical hazards and take appropriate action:
- Know where the main electricity switch is located and how to turn it off in an emergency.
- An odd, unidentifiable smell, smoke or sparks coming from an electrical outlet, wire or fixture indicates a serious problem. Evacuate everyone, including pets, shut off the power and call 911, especially if flames are present.
- Don’t overload circuits by plugging too many appliances or electronics into an outlet.
- Avoid overuse of extension cords.
- Keep flammable materials away from lamps and light bulbs. Even though LED bulbs don’t get as hot as incandescent bulbs, any amount of heat can cause a fire with the right material.
- Use safety covers on outlets to prevent young curious children from sticking objects into the holes.
- Arc-fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) shut off in the event of a dangerous electricity situation and Ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) reduce the risk of shock. Install these devices in your home or business and test them monthly.
- Rely on trained electricians for inspections, troubleshooting and repairs and avoid electrical do-it-yourself projects.
Electricraft, Inc., a family-owned business serving the California Central Coast since 1984 is proud to help bring the messages about electrical safety to local communities. The San Luis Obispo electricians take pride in providing a safe work environment and in placing electrical safety as a top priority for the community. Along with employee safety training and practices, Electricraft publishes online articles about electrical safety such as “Dangerous electrical problems at home” and topics addressing safety for kids and during the holidays.
Electricraft is available 24-hours, 7 days a week for emergencies and provides leading electrical and solar services for any size project on the Central Coast. The company commitment to every customer is to provide superior quality service and complete satisfaction, on time and at a fair price.
200 Suburban Rd., Suite A
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401