San Luis Obispo Electrician Reports ‘Electrical Upgrades That Increase Home Values’
-When a family starts thinking about selling their home the plans include a fresh coat of paint, new carpets, new window treatments and sometimes new kitchen cabinets and countertops, maybe new bathroom fixtures. Electricraft, Inc., the San Luis Obispo electricians reminds homeowners that there are also important electrical upgrades that add value to homes.
Some upgrades are so important that there’s no reason to wait until the house is going on the market. Updating wiring, not only adds value, it is often a safety feature. Old wiring, not enough outlets, no or few grounded outlets are only a few of the conditions that contribute to electrical fires. The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) reports that 51,000 home fires per year can be contributed to electrical problems.
Upgrades that make a difference for both safety and home value include:
- Updating old wiring to strong wires with sufficient grounding for safely managing the massive electronic load of today’s homes. Homes built even as recently as the 1980s and 1990s are probably not going to have sufficient wiring.
- Homes should be wired for 200 amps to handle the appliance and technology loads in use today. The San Luis Obispo electricians from Electricraft can inspect you home and make recommendations for upgrading wiring and other electrical components.
- We are in the digital age, making properly grounded 3-pronged outlets a safe and smart investment.
- Add outlets in strategic places in all rooms so there are enough outlets to eliminate the need for extension cords.
- Install GFCI equipped outlets in the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry area and other areas where water is used. The risk of electrical shock is higher when water is present. GFCI equipped outlets monitor the electrical current and immediately cut if off at the first sign of a problem.
- Update the breaker panel. Insufficient breaker panels affect electricity flowing through the home and a new, upgraded breaker panel can also make a difference in your insurance premiums.
- Consider structured cables, high-speed cables support the latest electronic technologies for TVs, stereos, computers, game consoles, telephones and security systems.
- Add more outside lighting on motion detectors
- Add solar. In April 2019, the real estate company Zillow, reported that homes with solar installed sell for an average 4-percent more than homes without.
Along with the safety features of upgraded electrical systems, that same report from Zillow reported that more than 80-percent of homebuyers say that energy efficiency features are important.
Upgrading the electrical system in a home makes it possible to enjoy more modern appliances, electronics and lighting and adds value to life at home. A surprising outcome of upgrading the homes electrical systems and adding solar may be to discover that your family has not outgrown the home after all.
Electricraft Inc., has been providing electrical services to San Luis Obispo and the Central Coast since 1984. The family-owned local company takes pride in delivering quality electrical and solar services. There is no project too big or too small for the experienced staff at Electricraft, from repairing light fixtures in homes, to installing the latest solar technology, to large industrial electrical construction – there’s no need to look any further than Electricraft.
200 Suburban Rd., Suite A
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401