SERVPRO, Santa Maria, Water Damage Specialists, Report ‘What Not To Do When Mold Is Discovered’
Mold might show up on kitchen or bathroom grout once in a while and this is generally safe to clean. It is the persistent mold on walls, under cabinets, and in damp places that the SERVPRO Santa Maria water damage specialists want the public to be very cautious about.
Mold is usually green or black in color and has a musty smell. Mold grows from spores that easily become airborne and the spores can be inhaled contributing to health problems from allergies to severe respiratory conditions, depending on the level of exposure. For these reasons, Mark Powers, owner of SERVPRO Santa Maria recommends people use caution even when cleaning a small amount of mold.
“Use a good antimicrobial. Spray it onto the mold and surrounding area, but before doing that be sure to put on a facemask and rubber gloves. Scrub the mold away with a brush or disposable rag,” said Powers. “But, when there is a chronic mold problem or mold is present in large amounts, there may be a water damage problem that needs professional attention.”
Mold spores exist naturally almost everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Professionals, trained in the science and effective removal and control of mold, are best equipped to locate the source of persistent mold and remove the moisture or water damage that is the breeding ground for mold growth.
Excessive moisture and standing water are common sources of mold growth in buildings. Mold growth can start within 48 hours. By the time mold appears, the moisture may have already soaked into the structure, even masonry, enough that industrial fans and other drying methods are required. Left long enough, water and moisture will cause structural damage, requiring comprehensive restoration or even expensive reconstruction. The SERVPRO Santa Maria water damage professionals are the experts locating the source of mold and water damage, and removing and repairing the damage.
A phone call to SERVPRO Santa Maria is the first step to addressing mold in a home, business, or any other structure. Upon arrival, the technician carefully inspects the property for signs of mold. Mold feeds on cellulose and water and can be hidden from plain view and various technologies are used to find the mold and hidden water sources.
The remaining mold and water damage removal process includes:
- Containing the spread of the mold using advanced containment procedures to isolate the contaminated area and keep mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
- Filtering and “scrubbing” the air using specialized filtration equipment that captures mold spores out of the air.
- Removing the mold and mold-infected materials with antifungal and antimicrobial treatments and removing and properly disposing of mold-infected materials. Removal is essential for preventing the mold from returning.
- Cleaning any items that may have become infested with molds such as carpets, curtains, clothing, furniture, and even collectibles.
- Restoring everything the mold infected to the original condition. Restoration can range from minor repairs to major reconstruction, depending on the degree of mold and water damage.
Comprehensive mold remediation and water damage repair is not a task that home and property owners are equipped, or even trained, to undertake. The professionals from the Santa Maria water damage company, SERVPRO, have the required training, safety gear, and equipment and supplies to safely and effectively remove mold and the sources of mold growth. Protect the health of family and other building occupants by calling the professionals to remove mold.
SERVPRO of Santa Maria
1279 W. Stowell Road, Suite C
Santa Maria, CA 93458
This press release is by Santa Maria SEO company Access Publishing, 607 Creston Road, Paso Robles, CA 93446. (805) 226-9890.