Solvang Insurance Agent Announces Ways to Celebrate National Home Ownership Month
-June is National Homeownership Month, a time set aside by both Presidents Bill Clinton and George W. Bush, for homeowners to focus on protecting the valuable investment in their homes and for new and aspiring homeowners to get into their new homes. “Homeownership is an important part of life,” said Rick Torres, owner of R.W. Torres Insurance Agency in Solvang, “and there are many ways for homeowners to celebrate National Home Ownership Month.”
Both current and aspiring homeowners can set aside time in June to work on a variety of things, such as:
- Critical home inspections that preserve property value
- Renew focus on buying a new home, especially for first-time buyers
- Review homeowner insurance policies to make sure you have enough coverage
The online real estate journal the firsttuesday Journal, reports that more than 47,000 home sold in California in March 2021, 39-percent higher than the previous year. Home ownership is a primary goal for many individuals, couples and families in California and across the nation. For most, a home is the largest purchase they will make in their lifetime. A home can be an asset that pays off when it’s time to move to a larger home, for college tuition and for retirement, plus a variety of other circumstances.
“It’s important to protect this valuable asset,” said Torres, the Solvang insurance agent. “It’s also important to plan for buying a new home, especially for first-time homebuyers.”
- National Home Ownership Month is a good time to take care of important home inspections. Inspecting the roof and underneath the home, termite inspections, electrical inspections, inspecting plumbing for leaks and identifying and eliminating fire hazards inside and outside can be critical for preventing serious damage.
- New home buyers, especially first-time buyers, can benefit by setting aside a specific time to plan and review the new home purchase budget. If the home is already in escrow, or you have moved in, take some time to prioritize and estimate the cost of any improvements you want to make. Some things, like landscaping can be completed section by section, considerably reducing the cost.
- Homeowner insurance is part of the family budget, but it’s also part of the home purchase/maintenance budget. Those who already own a home are going to benefit from a review. Events such as an increase in salary, a new baby, a marriage or divorce, even the death of a partner, can change the owners’ liability risk. It’s important to be sufficiently protected.
- The value of the home also influences the owners’ liability risk. First-time homeowners want to be sure their risk is minimized and that the home is insured at the correct value.
“Homeowners insurance not only protects the owners and their families from risk,” said the Solvang insurance agent, “it helps protect the family in the event the home is damaged, if personal possessions are stolen or damaged or if someone is injured on your property.
Rick Torres owner of the RW Torres Insurance Agency, has been a State Farm Insurance agent since 2007 and provides a full suite of State Farm Insurance products, including Auto, Home, Property, Business, Life, Health. Torres is also an active member of the Solvang and Buellton Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors and an affiliate of the Santa Ynez Association of Realtors.