Spring st. repairs near completion
–Spring Street repairs are nearing completion, according to Paso Robles Capital Projects Engineer Ditas Esperanza.
“The underground pipelines along Spring Street from 1st to 10th must first be done before we can do final surface repairs,” said Esperanza. “The sewer pipelines have been completed. This week, the waterlines will be done and then next week the storm drain pipelines should be done.”
The Contractor is now moving into the final phase of the work which is the surface repairs. she says. These surface repairs consists of a few steps:
- Step 1 Lower existing utility covers a few inches below surface
- Step 2 Remove the top layer of the existing asphalt (full width—edge of gutter to edge of gutter)
- Step 3 Perform repairs of localized areas that have failed
- Step 4 Place the final surface treatment (aka blacktop)
- Step 5 Paint/restore pavement striping and markings
- Step 6 Raise utility covers back-up to surface and place concrete collars around lids
The contractor has started with Step 1 and doing this work during the day. This work is noisy but does not require traffic flow to be impacted too much, says Esperanza.
Next week, the contractor will begin with step 2, while at the same time they are finishing up with storm drain pipeline work at 6th St. This phase will be done in the evening hours. The businesses have requested that any work that impedes access to their property be done in the evening hours, Esperanza says. There will be road closures and detours while doing this step so the contractor will be doing the work at night.
In addition, the intersection at Niblick/1stStreet/Spring and the freeway on/off ramps will need to be closed in order to remove the paving at that intersection. The permit from Caltrans to close off the ramp is allowed but only during the evening hours. Traffic on Hwy 101 will be detoured around the intersection.
Steps 3, 4, and 5 would also impede traffic and require detours so will likely be night work as well. Step 6 will be daytime work, she says.