Staying safe after a fire, tips from the Arroyo Grande fire damage professionals
-Escaping from a fire is a frightening event and even after everyone is out and safe there are more safety issues to address. The fire damage experts from SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande know that risks to safety and health can still be present after the fire is out and have recently released a report to help families and individuals stay safe after a fire.
One important thing to remember is to not enter the building until the fire authorities say it is okay to do so and then enter with caution. There is always the danger of a weakened structure collapsing. The water and soot remaining may also be contaminated so it’s best to not touch fire-damaged items without appropriate personal protective gear.
Medical care is at the top of the list for after-fire safety. Even though there may be no visible bruises or signs of injury, smoke and soot can be inhaled and be potentially harmful. As soon as possible, everyone should have a medical checkup. Take pets to the veterinarian for a health check. Anyone with a respiratory or health condition should be examined by a doctor.
Other important things to remember include:
- Don’t try to save food. Even food stored in the refrigerator or freezer is at risk of contamination and spoiling.
- Don’t take or reuse prescriptions, over-the-counter medications, or cosmetics that may have survived the fire. There is a chance of contamination.
- If you are able to recover clothing, wash them or have them cleaned before wearing them. The Arroyo Grande fire damage professionals recommend photographing and making an inventory list of clothing that is recovered. Insurance may reimburse for cleaning expenses.
- Find a safe place to stay. Contact the insurance company as soon as possible to find out what kind of emergency funds are available. Other assistance may be available from disaster relief organizations like the Red Cross, Salvation Army, or local agencies.
- Take care of everyone’s emotional health. The American Psychological Association (APA) cautions: “You should not underestimate the challenge of evacuation, relocation, and rebuilding after a fire.” The APA reports that it’s common to experience anxiety and depression after a fire and advises people to seek emotional support through normal, healthy activities, friends, community, church and professionally if needed.
Most importantly, remember there is help and support available. Reaching out to family and friends and to health professionals can provide a solid foundation for moving forward. The Arroyo Grande fire damage team from SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande is ready to help restore your home or business so life gets back on track as soon as possible.
Fully aware that fire emergencies happen at any time, the team is available to respond 24/7 every day of the year. A highly-trained professional assesses the damage and helps file the insurance claim. The team, trained and certified in all aspects of fire damage remediation responds to clean and restore the building and contents so life returns to normal as quickly as possible.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande
1131 Pike Lane, Suite 9
Oceano CA 93445