Tibetan Monks to return to North County on their Sacred Arts Tour
–The Central Coast welcomes the Sacred Arts Tour of the Drepung Gomang beginning next week in Templeton, California.
The Tibetan Monks will begin a Live Mandala drawing on Feb. 7. The World Peace Manadala is a large and elaborate Sand Painting that takes days to assemble. It will involve daily viewing and opening and closing ceremonies each day. Visitors can attend anytime during the day and frequent visits are encouraged to see the progress.
The center piece in Templeton is the multi day construction of a Sand Mandala with elaborate opening and closing ceremonies. Closing Ceremony is a must see and begins 2:30 p.m., Saturday Feb. 9 after the Templeton Farmers Market with a community procession to follow.
The event will take place at the Central Coast Center for Spiritual Living, located at 689 Crocker Street, in Templeton.
There will also be a notable programs open to the public at Twin Cities Hospital a talk on Stress Relief: Meditation and Mindfulness, Friday Feb. 8, from 10-11 am. at the Morgan Conference Room. And, Castoro Winery will host on Friday Feb. 8 from 6:30-8:30 p.m. the 8 monk ensemble for a special performance and Cultural Pageant to include song, dance and elaborate costumes; demonstrating fascinating debates that the monks use to sharpen their critical thinking skills; and exhibit their Tibetan Crafts. All are welcome. Contact: 805-242-3180 for reservations. Beverages available from Castoro Wines and Lighthouse Atascadero Coffee Co.
- Opening ceremonies, 9:30 daily.
- Closing ceremonies, 4 p.m. Thursday, Friday and 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Paso Peace Community discussion of World Peace Thoughts and Symbolism, Thursday, Feb. 7 6-7 p.m. at the Center for Spiritual Living, (Co-Sponsor: Paso Peace Community, EarthTones Center for Healing, Sunrise Rotary) No charge
- Stressful Times: Mindfulness and Meditation at Twin Cities Hospital Morgan Conference Room, Friday: Feb. 8 10-11 a.m. (open to public, Co-Sponsors: Stanislaus OB/GYN Women’s Health, EarthTones Center for Healing.) No charge.
- Lunch with Monks-Friday: February 8th 12-1:30 Enjoy Simple Tibetan Cuisine at Central Coast Center for Spiritual Living, 689 Crocker Street (By donation)
- Cultural Performance at Castoro Winery, Friday: Feb. 8, 6:30-8:30 (By donation)
On site will be other workshops appropriate for youth, art demonstrations and sale of fair trade Tibetan goods.
On Feb. 11-14 the monks will be creating a mandala at Foxworthy Gallery Hancock College in Santa Maria.
The cultural and educational events are part of the Sacred Arts Tour with Drepung Gomang Center for Engaging Compassion a 501(c)3 tax exempt charity committed to preserving the Tibetan Culture, Traditions and Religion.
Call (805) 238-4413 for more information.