‘What to do about damage after a fire,’ a report from the Pismo Beach fire damage company
-There’s no doubt that a fire can cause extensive structural damage along with water damage from extinguishing the fire, possible burst water pipes and additional damage from chemicals, smoke damage and the potential of mold. The professional water damage team from SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande has prepared a report to help the public know what to do about the different kinds of damage that result from a fire.
The first thought for most people is to get onto the property as soon as possible to survey the damage and see what possessions can be saved. This is an understandable desire, but not necessarily the safest thing to do. The first thing to do, and probably one of the most difficult, is to wait until the fire department officials have said the fire is fully extinguished and it is safe to enter the property.
Even though the fire is out, there may still be other safety hazards such as structural weaknesses from the fire, soot and mold spores that if inhaled can cause respiratory problems, sewage from damaged pipes and chemical residue.
It’s important to wear safety gear such as a hard hat, goggles, boots, gloves and perhaps even a respirator when entering a fire-damaged building. It’s also wise to return to the building with a damage remediation professional such as the Pismo Beach water damage experts.
An expert can help make sure all of the necessary documentation for insurance are done as well as to conduct a thorough assessment of the damage and repair and remediation process. The list of what needs to be done after a fire includes:
- Notifying the insurance company about the fire and for any emergency assistance provided in the policy
- Take immediate remediation procedures such as opening doors and windows to let air move through, using a sump pump to remove excess water and placing foil or plastic under furniture legs to stop further water absorption
- A room-by-room assessment of the damage
- Thoroughly recording the damage, including taking photographs
- Identifying the type of damage, such as water damage, fire, soot, or some other issue such as sewage and black water or chemical damage
- Identifying personal property and furnishings that have been damaged
- Identifying personal property and furnishings that can be cleaned and restored
- Identifying structural features such as walls, support beams, roof, cabinets and more that can be repaired, or may need to be replaced
Any valuable items should also be photographed to create a record of any damage, then removed to a safe and secure location for later cleaning and repair.
Even though the fire was the primary cause of the damage, each type of damage requires special handling for cleaning and restoration. For example, a sofa that has been soaked with water and soot may not have to be thrown away. The industrial-quality equipment and supplies that are available to the professional Pismo Beach water damage team mean that many items can be saved and restored.
Fire is frightening and the aftermath can seem overwhelming. It’s important to know there is no need to go through the assessment and restoration process alone. SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande is a local family-owned company that is available to respond to emergencies 24/7 and 365 days a year. The staff can help process and monitor the insurance claim, removing another level of worry. Once the initial assessment is completed the next step is creating the repair and remediation plan that includes restoring personal possessions, furnishings and the home
Repair and restoring include removing and extracting all water from the property, drying and dehumidifying so that every trace of moisture is removed. Everything that can be cleaned, including the structural elements, personal property such as clothing and furnishings are cleaned and repairs are made. Cleaning includes removing mold, sanitizing and deodorizing.
SERVPRO of Pismo Beach / Arroyo Grande
1131 Pike Lane Suite 9
Oceano, CA 93445