City council to review controversial bike lanes
Following a number of complaints and inquiries about new bike lanes on Skyview Drive and Montebello Oaks Drive, the Paso Robles City Council will be discussing the issue at tonight’s city council meeting. The meeting starts at 6:30 p.m. at Paso Robles City Hall, 1000 Main Street, Paso Robles. Public input is welcomed.
A letter to the editor last week by Paso Robles resident Jerry Crabill, “Stop painting bike lanes on residential streets” received over 40 comments, most of them opposed to bike lines in neighborhoods.
“The city is very interested in your concerns and wants to make sure the public has an opportunity to be heard,” said Community Development Director Warren Frace in a letter to concerned residents. “In this spirit, the city council has added this item to Tuesday night’s City Council agenda for discussion.”
Facts for review in the city staff report:
- The City has received a number of inquiries and complaints regarding the recent installation of Class 2 bike lanes on Montebello Oaks Dr. and Skyview Dr.
- The 1988 Union Rd Specific Plan and 2009 Bike Plan identified Montebello Oaks Dr. and Skyview Dr. as streets for Class 2 bike lanes.
- Montebello Oaks Dr. and Skyview Dr. are 44-ft wide “local collectors” street built to accommodate 2 lanes, class 2 bikeways and on street parking.
- Class 2 bike lane striping was not installed at the time of original street construction for unknown reasons.
- Speeding through the residential neighborhood (25 mph speed limit) has been a concern on Montebello Oaks Dr. and Skyview Dr. due to their large paved width.
- Ramboullet Rd. and Oak Hill Rd. were recently striped using the same A-5 standard with Class 2 bike lanes.
The council will review the city’s plan and hear public input and consider the following options:
- Do nothing;
- Have the police department and public works department monitor traffic speeds and operations for the next 30 days and report back to city council;
- Install a dashed yellow center line and monitor for effectiveness;
- Refer back to staff for additional analysis and options.
Facebook Comments Plugin Powered byVivacity Infotech Pvt. Ltd.