We welcome your local news – Send it in!
How to write and submit a press release
–The Paso Robles Daily News welcomes press releases, news tips, event announcements, photos and more from local clubs, businesses and organizations. The Paso Robles Daily News publishes press releases for free. Submit your press release today!
What is a press release?
A press release, news release, media release, statement or report is a written communication to members of the media for the purpose of announcing something newsworthy. Typically, they are e-mailed to editors and journalists at newspapers, magazines, radio, and television stations.
Press release topics
- Upcoming events
- Grand openings
- Award ceremonies
- Competition results
- Public meetings
- New management
- New products
- Donations to charities
- Special offers, and more
Elements of a news release
- Contact – At top, include name, cell phone number and email address for a contact person.
- Headline – Write one that grabs attention and summarizes the news.
- Subhead – A second headline or “subhead” can include additional details
- Dateline – Start first sentence with date and city of origin, such as “June 6, 2021, Paso Robles –”
- Introduction – In the first paragraph, answer the questions of who, what, when, where, and why.
- Body – Add details, quotes, explanations, statistics, and background.
- About – End with a short “about” section with information about the company or organization.
Tips for a good press release
- Choose a newsworthy topic. The more newsworthy the release, the more likely it will be run by the media.
- Be sure to answer the who, what, where, when, why and how of the story.
- Write the release in the third person, avoiding the words, “you,” “I,” and “we”, unless they are inside of quotes.
- Include a photo with a caption in news releases. Include the full names of the people in photos.
- Write about facts – events, products, services, people, targets, goals, plans, projects, rather than opinion.
- Follow Associated Press Style for capitalization, punctuation, and abbreviations.
Examples of well-written press releases
Local media accepting press releases
Once a press release is ready to send, take advantage of all the media in San Luis Obispo County who may help publicize your news. Here are the top news media serving Paso Robles and North San Luis Obispo County with links to contact information:
- Paso Robles Daily News
- A-Town Daily News
- Templeton Community Guide
- Access Publishing
- KPRL News Radio 1230AM
- San Luis Obispo Tribune
- San Luis Obispo County Visitors Guide
- New Times SLO
- KSBY TV News
Submit a press release to Paso Robles Daily News
Need help with a press release?
If you would like assistance writing and distributing a press release, call Access Publishing at (805) 226-9890 or email email@example.com. Access Publishing has an experienced team of writers, editors, and marketing consultants who can help you deliver your message in the San Luis Obispo County market area.
Get local media exposure
Paso Robles Daily News Editor Skye Pratt gave a Press Release Seminar. Here is her slideshow presentation:
- Purchase a sponsored article
- Write and submit an obituary
- Help wanted job posting
- Top news media in Paso Robles
- Paso Robles Daily News circulation and distribution