How to write and submit a press release
–The Paso Robles Daily News welcomes press releases, news tips, event announcements, photos and more from local clubs, businesses and organizations. The Paso Robles Daily News publishes accepted press releases for free. Submit your press release today!
What is a press release?
A press release, news release, media release, statement or report is a written communication to members of the news media for the purpose of announcing something newsworthy. Typically, they are e-mailed to editors and journalists at newspapers, magazines, radio and television stations.
Press release topics
- Upcoming events
- Grand openings
- Award ceremonies
- Competition results
- Public meetings
- New management
- New products
- Donations to charities
- Special offers and more
Elements of a news release
- Contact – At top, include name, cell phone number and email address for contact person.
- Headline – Write one that grabs attention and summarizes the news.
- Subhead – A second headline or “subhead” can include additional details
- Dateline – Start first sentence with date and city such as “April 6, 2016, Paso Robles –”
- Introduction – In the first paragraph, answer the questions of who, what, when, where and why.
- Body – Add details, quotes, explanation, statistics, and background.
- About – End with a short “about” section with information about the company or organization.
Tips for a good press release
- Choose a newsworthy topic. The more newsworthy the release, the more likely it will be run by the media.
- Be sure to answer the who, what, where, when, why and how of the story.
- Write the release in third person, avoiding the words, “you,” “I,” and “we”, unless inside of quotes.
- Include a photo with a caption in your news release. Include the names of the people in photos.
- Write about facts – events, products, services, people, targets, goals, plans, projects, rather than opinion.
- Follow Associated Press Style for capitalization, punctuation and abbreviations.
Local media accepting press releases
Once a press release is ready to send, take advantage of all the media in San Luis Obispo County who may help publicize your news. Here are the top news media serving Paso Robles and North San Luis Obispo County with links to contact information:
- Paso Robles Daily News
- Access Publshing
- KPRL News Radio 1230AM
- Paso Robles Magazine
- Paso Robles Press
- San Luis Obispo Tribune
- San Luis Obispo County Visitors Guide
- New Times SLO
- KSBY TV News
Contacts for sending a local press release
- Access Publishing: Paso Robles Daily News, A-Town Daily News, Templeton Guide, San Luis Obispo County Visitor’s Guide: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Paso Magazine: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The San Luis Obispo Tribune: email@example.com
- News Media Corporation: Atascadero News, Paso Press: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Cal Coast News: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- KSBY: firstname.lastname@example.org
- KPRL: email@example.com
- KCBX: firstname.lastname@example.org
- KEYT: email@example.com
- SLO Stringer: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Soaring Eagle Press in Templeton: email@example.com
Submit a press release to Paso Robles Daily News
To be considered for publication in the Paso Robles Daily News, email a press releases with photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Need help with a press release?
If you would like assistance writing and distributing a press release, call Access Publishing at (805) 226-9890. Access Publishing has an experienced team or writers, editors and marketing consultants who can help you spread your message in the San Luis Obispo County market area.
Press Release Seminar
Editor Skye Ravy gave a Press Release Seminar Sept. 27, 2016, in Paso Robles. Here is her slideshow presentation:
- Purchase a promoted article
- Submit a calendar of events item
- Write and submit an obituary
- Help wanted job posting
- Post a free classified ad