Looking Back: Making Plans for Addition to Hotel
Excerpt from the Paso Robles Star, Wednesday, November 24, 1920
H. Taylor, the builder and owner of the Hotel Taylor, has instructed his architect, Chester M. Miller, of San Francisco, to immediately prepare plans for a [?]-story addition to the present hotel. The proposed addition will join the present structure on Spring street on the north. It will conform in architecture and in all other ways with the present building.
The architect was here Sunday and received detailed instructions from Mr. Taylor and will at once proceed with the work. As soon as the plans and specifications are prepared and approved, arrangements for letting the contract will be made and actual construction commenced at the earliest possible moment.
It is planned to have the new addition ready for use during the busy summer season.
Editorial note: According to records from the Paso Robles Historical Society archives, The Taylor Hotel was located at the northeast corner of Spring and 13th streets and was built by Hi Taylor in 1918 for $90,000. Over time, the hotel passed through a variety of ownerships and was renamed the Paso Robles Hot Springs Hotel in 1949, not to be confused with the original Hot Springs Hotel that burned down in December 1940. For a period of time, a portion of the hotel on the alley housed city hall, the police department, and the jail. City hall moved to a new location on Spring between 10th and 11th streets in 1955. The police department and jail remained until the hotel was destroyed by fire on November 22, 1963, the same day that President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Reports say the four prisoners in the jail at the time were safely evacuated.
Read previous Looking Back articles
- Looking Back: Paso Robles Jaycees crown 1968 Junior Miss
- Looking Back: What were your parents or grandparents up to on October 2, 1930?
- Looking Back: Heavy Rain Brings Joy to Ranchers
- Looking Back: No Destruction of Caledonia Inn Declares Highway Board
- Looking Back: Pioneer Day Trophy Winners
This “Looking Back” view at Paso Robles history comes from one of the hundreds of local newspapers in the Paso Robles Area Historical Society collection. Several local newspapers, dating from the 1800s, have reported on local, national and world events, providing priceless historical views of our community that are not available from any other source. The Historical Society is seeking community support for the multi-phased Newspaper Preservation Project to help fund the transfer of these aged and fragile pages to microfilm and digital images. See the society website for more information about becoming a member or donating to any phase of this project.
The Paso Robles Daily News is pleased to support this important project. Watch this space for future “Looking Back” articles.